(a) In this section, "benefits from governmental programs or civil or military service" means any benefit, program or assistance provided under a federal, state or local statute or regulation including Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.
(b) Unless the power of attorney otherwise provides, language in a power of attorney granting general authority with respect to benefits from governmental programs or civil or military service authorizes the agent to:
(1) Execute vouchers in the name of the principal for allowances and reimbursements payable by the United States or a foreign government or by a state or subdivision of a state to the principal, including allowances and reimbursements for transportation of the individuals described in section one hundred thirteen, subsection (a)(1) of this article, and for shipment of their household effects;
(2) Take possession and order the removal and shipment of property of the principal from a post, warehouse, depot, dock or other place of storage or safekeeping, either governmental or private, and execute and deliver a release, voucher, receipt, bill of lading, shipping ticket, certificate or other instrument for that purpose;
(3) Enroll in, apply for, select, reject, change, amend or discontinue, on the principal's behalf, a benefit or program;
(4) Prepare, file and maintain a claim of the principal for a benefit or assistance, financial or otherwise, to which the principal may be entitled under a statute or rule;
(5) Initiate, participate in, submit to alternative dispute resolution, settle, oppose or propose or accept a compromise with respect to litigation concerning any benefit or assistance the principal may be entitled to receive under a statute or rule; and
(6) Receive the financial proceeds of a claim described in
subdivision(4) of this section and conserve, invest, disburse or
use for a lawful purpose anything so received.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2016 Regular Session
The West Virginia Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.