(a) In this section, "estate, trust, or other beneficial interest" means a trust, probate estate, guardianship, conservatorship, escrow, custodianship, or a fund from which the principal is, may become, or claims to be, entitled to a share or payment.
(b) Unless the power of attorney otherwise provides, language in a power of attorney granting general authority with respect to estates, trusts and other beneficial interests authorizes the agent to:
(1) Accept, receive, receipt for, sell, assign, pledge or exchange a share in or payment from an estate, trust or other beneficial interest;
(2) Demand or obtain money or another thing of value to which the principal is, may become, or claims to be, entitled by reason of an estate, trust or other beneficial interest, by litigation or otherwise;
(3) Exercise for the benefit of the principal a presently exercisable general power of appointment held by the principal;
(4) Initiate, participate in, submit to alternative dispute resolution, settle, oppose or propose or accept a compromise with respect to litigation to ascertain the meaning, validity or effect of a deed, will, declaration of trust or other instrument or transaction affecting the interest of the principal;
(5) Initiate, participate in, submit to alternative dispute resolution, settle, oppose or propose or accept a compromise with respect to litigation to remove, substitute or surcharge a fiduciary;
(6) Conserve, invest, disburse or use anything received for an authorized purpose;
(7) Transfer an interest of the principal in real property, stocks and bonds, accounts with financial institutions or securities intermediaries, insurance, annuities and other property to the trustee of a revocable trust created by the principal as settler; and
(8) Reject, renounce, disclaim, release or consent to a
reduction in or modification of a share in or payment from an
estate, trust or other beneficial interest.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2013 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.