(1) "Action" means recoupment, counterclaim, set off or other civil suit and any other proceeding in which rights are determined, including without limitation actions for possession, rent, unlawful detainer, unlawful entry and distress for rent.
(2) "Application fee" means any deposit of money, however denominated, which is paid by a tenant to a landlord, lessor or agent of a landlord for the purpose of being considered as a tenant for a dwelling unit.
(3) "Dwelling unit" means a structure or part of a structure that is used as a home or residence by one or more persons who maintain a household, including, but not limited to, a manufactured home.
(4) "Facility" means something that is built, constructed, installed or established to perform some particular function.
(5) "Landlord" means the owner or lessor of the dwelling unit or the building of which such dwelling unit is a part. "Landlord" also includes a managing agent of the premises who fails to disclose the name of such owner or lessor.
(6) "Managing agent" means a person authorized by the landlord to act on behalf of the landlord under a management agreement.
(7) "Notice period" means: (A) within 60 days of the termination of the tenancy; or (B) within 45 days of the occupation of the premise by a subsequent tenant, whichever time period is shorter.
(8) "Owner" means one or more persons, jointly or severally, in whom is vested:
(A) All or part of the legal title to the property, or
(B) All or part of the beneficial ownership and a right to present use and enjoyment of the premises, and the term includes a mortgagee in possession.
(9) "Person" means any individual, group of individuals, corporation, partnership, business trust, association or other legal entity, or any combination thereof.
(10) "Premises" means a dwelling unit and the structure of which it is a part and facilities and appurtenances therein and grounds, areas and facilities held out for the use of tenants generally or whose use is promised to the tenant.
(11) "Rent" means all money, other than a security deposit, a nonrefundable fee or money paid to the landlord by the tenant for damage caused by the tenant to the dwelling unit, owed or paid to the landlord under the rental agreement.
(12) "Rental agreement" means all agreements, written (including an electronic record as defined by paragraph (7), section two, article one, chapter thirty-nine-a of the code) or oral, express or implied, embodying the terms and conditions concerning the use and occupancy of a dwelling unit and premises.
(13) "Roomer" means a person occupying a dwelling unit that lacks a major bathroom or kitchen facility, in a structure where one or more major facilities are used in common by occupants of the dwelling unit and other dwelling units. Major facility in the case of a bathroom means toilet, and either a bath or shower, and in the case of a kitchen means refrigerator, stove or sink.
(14) "Security deposit" means any refundable deposit of money that is furnished by a tenant to a landlord to secure the performance of the terms and conditions of a rental agreement, or as security for damages to the leased premises. Security deposit does not include: (A) Rent; (B) a pet fee; or (C) application fee: Provided, That the parties expressly agree, in writing, that a pet fee or application fee is nonrefundable. A security deposit does not include prepaid rent.
(15) "Sublease" means the transfer by any tenant of any but not all interests created by a rental agreement.
(16) "Tenant" means a person entitled under a rental agreement to occupy a dwelling unit to the exclusion of others and shall include a roomer.
(17) "Utility" means electricity, natural gas, propane gas,
water, sewer, telephone and cable television provided by a public
utility or such other person providing residential utility
services. If the rental agreement so provides, a landlord may use
submetering equipment or energy allocation equipment, or a ratio
utility billing system.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2013 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.