(a) Cash in the possession of the insurer, or in transit under its control, and including the true balance of any deposit in a solvent bank or trust company.
(b) Investments, securities, properties and loans acquired or held in accordance with this chapter, and in connection therewith the following items:
(1) Interest due or accrued on any bond or evidence of indebtedness which is not in default and which is not valued on a basis including accrued interest.
(2) Declared and unpaid dividends on stock and shares, unless such amount has otherwise been allowed as an asset.
(3) Interest due or accrued upon a collateral loan in an amount not to exceed one year's interest thereon.
(4) Interest due or accrued on deposits in solvent banks and trust companies, and interest due or accrued on other assets, if such interest is in the judgment of the commissioner a collectible asset.
(5) Interest due or accrued on a mortgage loan, in an amount not exceeding in any event the amount, if any, of the excess of the value of the property less delinquent taxes thereon over the unpaid principal; but in no event shall interest accrued for a period in excess of eighteen months be allowed as an asset.
(6) Rent due or accrued on real property if such rent is not in arrears for more than three months, and rent more than three months in arrears if the payment of such rent be adequately secured by property held in the name of the tenant and conveyed to the insurer as collateral.
(7) The unaccrued portion of taxes paid prior to the due date on real property.
(c) Premium notes, policy loans, and other policy assets and liens on policies and certificates of life insurance and annuity contracts and interest due and accrued thereon, in an amount not exceeding the legal reserve and other policy liabilities carried on each individual policy.
(d) The net amount of uncollected and deferred premiums and annuity considerations in the case of a life insurer.
(e) Premiums in the course of collection, other than for life insurance, not more than three months past due, less commissions payable thereon. The foregoing limitation shall not apply to premiums payable directly or indirectly by the United States government or by any of its instrumentalities.
(f) Installment premiums other than life insurance premiums, in accordance with regulations prescribed by the commissioner.
(g) Notes and like written obligations not past due, taken for premiums other than life insurance premiums, on policies permitted to be issued on such basis, to the extent of the unearned premium reserves carried thereon.
(h) The full amount of reinsurance recoverable by a ceding insurer from a solvent reinsurer and which reinsurance is authorized under this chapter.
(i) Amounts receivable by an assuming insurer representing funds withheld by a solvent ceding insurer under a reinsurance treaty.
(j) Deposits or equities recoverable from underwriting associations, syndicates and reinsurance funds, or from any suspended banking institution, to the extent deemed by the commissioner available for the payment of losses and claims and at values to be determined by him.
(k) All assets, whether or not consistent with the provisions of this section, as may be allowed pursuant to the annual statement form approved by the commissioner for the kinds of insurance to be reported upon therein.
(l) Other assets, not inconsistent with the provisions of this section, deemed by the commissioner to be available for thepayment of losses and claims, at values to be determined by him.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.