(1) "Advanced nurse practitioner" means a certified nurse-midwife, or an advanced nurse practitioner certified to practice in family practice, women's health (ob/gyn), or primary care adult, geriatric or pediatric practice, practicing within the lawful scope of that provider's practice.
(2) "Health benefits policy" means any individual or group plan, policy or contract for health care services issued, delivered, issued for delivery or renewed in this state by a health care corporation, health maintenance organization, accident and sickness insurer, fraternal benefit society, nonprofit hospital service corporation, nonprofit medical service corporation or similar entity, when the policy or plan covers hospital, medical or surgical expenses.
(3) "Partial-birth abortion" means an abortion in which the person performing the abortion partially vaginally delivers a living fetus before killing the fetus and completing the delivery.
(4) "Physician performing a partial-birth abortion" means a doctor of medicine or osteopathy legally authorized to practice medicine and surgery in West Virginia, or any other individual who is legally authorized by the state to perform abortions: Provided, That any individual who is not a physician or not otherwise legally authorized by the state to perform abortions, but who nevertheless directly performs a partial-birth abortion, is subject to the provisions of this article.
(5) "Vaginally delivers a living fetus before killing the fetus" means deliberately and intentionally delivering into the vagina a living fetus, or a substantial portion thereof, for the purpose of performing a procedure that the physician or person delivering the living fetus knows will kill the fetus, and kills the fetus.
(6) "Women's health care provider" means an obstetrician/ gynecologist, advanced nurse practitioner certified to practice in women's health (ob/gyn), certified nurse-midwife or physician assistant-midwife practicing within the lawful scope of that provider's practice.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2012 1st Special Session