(1) Make or cause to be made a materially false or misleading statement to an accountant in connection with any audit, review or communication required under this article; or
(2) Omit to state, or cause another person to omit to state, any material fact necessary in order to make statements made, in light of the circumstances under which the statements were made, not misleading to an accountant in connection with any audit, review or communication required under this article.
(b) No officer or director of an insurer, or any other person acting under the direction thereof, shall directly or indirectly take any action to coerce, manipulate, mislead or fraudulently influence any accountant engaged in the performance of an audit pursuant to this article if that person knew or should have known that the action, if successful, could result in rendering the insurer's financial statements materially misleading.
(c) For purposes of subsection (b) of this section, actions that, "if successful, could result in rendering the insurer's financial statements materially misleading" include, but are not limited to, actions taken at any time with respect to the professional engagement period to coerce, manipulate, mislead or fraudulently influence an accountant:
(1) To issue or reissue a report on an insurer's financial statements that is not warranted in the circumstances due to material violations of statutory accounting principles prescribed by the commissioner, generally accepted auditing standards, or other professional or regulatory standards;
(2) Not to perform audit, review or other procedures required by generally accepted auditing standards or other professional standards;
(3) Not to withdraw an issued report; or
(4) Not to communicate matters to an insurer's audit committee.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2013 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.