(a) A purchasing group which intends to do business in this state shall, prior to doing business, furnish notice to the commissioner, on forms prescribed by the national association of insurance commissioners, which such forms shall:
(1) Identify the state in which the group is domiciled;
(2) Identify all other states in which the group intends to do business;
(3) Specify the lines and classifications of liability insurance which the purchasing group intends to purchase;
(4) Identify the insurance company or companies from which the group intends to purchase its insurance and the domicile of such company;
(5) Specify the method by which, and the person or persons, if any, through whom insurance will be offered to its members whose risks are resident or located in this state;
(6) Identify the principal place of business of the groups; and
(7) Provide any other information as may be required by the commissioner to verify that the purchasing group is qualified under this article.
(b) A purchasing group shall, within ten days, notify the commissioner of any changes in any of the items set forth in this section.
(c) The purchasing group shall register with and designate the commissioner, (or other appropriate authority), as its agent solely for the purpose of receiving service of legal documents or process: Provided, That these requirements do not apply in the case of a purchasing group which:
(1) Was domiciled before the first day of April, one thousand nine hundred eighty-six, in any state of the United States; and
(2) Is domiciled on and after the twenty-seventh day of October, one thousand nine hundred eighty-six, in any state of the United States and which:
(A) Before the twenty-seventh day of October, one thousand nine hundred eighty-six, purchased insurance from an insurance carrier licensed in any state; and
(B) Since the twenty-seventh day of October, one thousand nine hundred eighty-six, purchased its insurance from an insurance carrier licensed in any state;
(3) Which was a purchasing group under the requirements of the product liability risk retention act of 1981, before the twenty-seventh day of October, one thousand nine hundred eighty-six; and
(4) Which does not purchase insurance that was not authorized for purposes of an exemption under that act, as in effect before the twenty-seventh day of October, one thousand nine hundred eighty-six.
(d) Each purchasing group that is required to give notice pursuant to subsection (a) of this section shall also furnish such information as may be required by the commissioner to:
(1) Verify that the entity qualifies as a purchasing group;
(2) Determine where the purchasing group is located; and
(3) Determine appropriate tax treatment.
(e) The insurance commissioner shall promulgate rules pursuant to the provisions of chapter twenty-nine-a of this code regarding the amount of all registration or filing fees required by this section.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2013 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.