(1) "Account" means any one of the three accounts created by section six of this article.
(2) "Association" means the West Virginia Insurance Guaranty Association created under section six of this article.
(3) "Commissioner" means the Insurance Commissioner of West Virginia.
(4) "Covered claim" means an unpaid claim, including one for unearned premiums other than retrospective premiums or other premiums subject to adjustment after the date of liquidation, which arises out of and is within the coverage of an insurance policy to which this article applies and which policy is in force at the time of the occurrence giving rise to the unpaid claims if the insurer issuing the policy becomes an insolvent insurer after the effective date of this article and the claimant or insured is a resident of this state at the time of the insured occurrence, or the property from which the claim arises is permanently located in this state. "Covered claim" does not include: (i) Any amount in excess of the applicable limits of coverage provided by an insurance policy to which this article applies; nor (ii) any amount due any reinsurer, insurer, insurance pool, or underwriting association, as subrogation recoveries or otherwise from an insolvent insurer or the insured of an insolvent insurer to the extent of coverage under the insured's policy.
(5) "Insolvent insurer" means an insurer:
(A) Licensed to transact insurance in this state either at the time the policy was issued or when the insured event occurred; and
(B) Against whom an order of liquidation with a finding of insolvency has been entered by a court of competent jurisdiction in the insurer's state of domicile or of this state.
(6) "Member insurer" means any person who:
(A) Writes any kind of insurance to which this article applies under section three of this article, including farmers' mutual fire insurance companies and the exchange of reciprocal or interinsurance contracts; and
(B) Is licensed to transact insurance in this state.
(7) "Net direct written premiums" means direct gross premiums written in this state on insurance policies to which this article applies, less return premiums on the policies and dividends paid or credited to policyholders on such direct business. "Net direct written premiums" does not include premiums on contracts between insurers or reinsurers.
(8) "Person" includes an individual, company, insurer, association, organization, society, reciprocal, partnership, syndicate, business trust, corporation or any other legal entity.
(9) "Receiver" means receiver, liquidator, rehabilitator or conservator as the context may require.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2012 1st Special Session