(b) For purposes of this section, "dental anesthesia services" means general anesthesia for dental procedures and associated outpatient hospital or ambulatory facility charges provided by appropriately licensed health care individuals in conjunction with dental care provided to a subscriber or member if the subscriber or member is:
(1) Seven years of age or younger or is developmentally disabled and is an individual for whom a successful result cannot be expected from dental care provided under local anesthesia because of a physical, intellectual or other medically compromising condition of the subscriber or member and for whom a superior result can be expected from dental care provided under general anesthesia; or
(2) A child who is twelve years of age or younger with documented phobias, or with documented mental illness, and with dental needs of such magnitude that treatment should not be delayed or deferred and for whom lack of treatment can be expected to result in infection, loss of teeth, or other increased oral or dental morbidity and for whom a successful result cannot be expected from dental care provided under local anesthesia because of such condition and for whom a superior result can be expected from dental care provided under general anesthesia.
(c) Prior authorization. -- An entity subject to this section may require prior authorization for general anesthesia and associated outpatient hospital, ambulatory facility or similar charges for dental care in the same manner that prior authorization is required for these benefits in connection with other covered medical care.
(d) An entity subject to this section may restrict coverage for general anesthesia and associated outpatient hospital or ambulatory facility charges unless the dental care is provided by:
(1) A fully accredited specialist in pediatric dentistry;
(2) A fully accredited specialist in oral and maxillofacial surgery; and
(3) A dentist to whom hospital privileges have been granted.
(e) Dental care coverage not required. -- The provisions of this section may not be construed to require coverage for the dental care for which the general anesthesia is provided.
(f) Temporal mandibular joint disorders. -- The provisions of this section do not apply to dental care rendered for temporal mandibular joint disorders.
(g) A policy, provision, contract, plan or agreement may apply to dental anesthesia services the same deductibles, coinsurance and other limitations as apply to other covered services.