(b) The scope of the quality assurance program shall include, at a minimum:
(1) Organizational arrangements and responsibilities for quality management and improvement processes;
(2) A documented utilization management program;
(3) Written policies and procedures for credentialing and recredentialing physicians and other licensed providers who fall under the scope of authority of the health maintenance organization;
(4) A written policy that addresses enrollee's rights and responsibilities;
(5) The adoption of practice guidelines for the use of preventive health services; and
(6) Any other criteria deemed necessary by the commissioner.
(c) As a condition of doing business in this state, each health maintenance organization which has been in existence for at least three years shall apply for and submit to an accreditation examination to be performed by a nationally recognized accreditation and review organization approved by the commissioner. The accreditation and review organization must be experienced in health maintenance organization activities and in the appraisal ofmedical practice and quality assurance in a health maintenance organization setting: Provided, That in those instances where a health maintenance organization has timely applied for and reasonably pursued an accreditation examination, but the examination has not been completed, the health maintenance organization may, upon compliance with all other provisions of this article, engage in business in this state upon submission of proof to the commissioner of its application for review.
(d) Within thirty days of receipt of the written report of the accreditation and review organization by the health maintenance organization, the health maintenance organization shall submit a copy of this report to the commissioner.
(e) This section shall become effective on the first day of May, one thousand nine hundred ninety-eight.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2016 Regular Session
The West Virginia Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.