(a) The exchange shall operate subject to the supervision and control of a governing board. The powers conferred upon the board by this article and the carrying out of its purposes and duties shall be considered to be essential governmental functions and for a public purpose. The Governor shall appoint a chairperson of the board from the membership set forth in subsection (b) of this section, with the advice and consent of the Senate.
(b) The board shall be composed of the following members:
(1) Four voting ex officio members: The Commissioner; the Commissioner of the West Virginia Bureau for Medical Services; the Director of the West Virginia Children's Health Insurance Program; and the Chair of the West Virginia Health Care Authority. Ex officio members may designate a representative to serve in his or her place;
(2) Four persons appointed by the Governor with advice and consent of the Senate, each to represent the interests of one of the following groups: Individual health care consumers; small employers; organized labor; and insurance producers;
(3) One person to represent the interests of payors who is selected by majority vote of an advisory group comprising representatives of the ten carriers with the highest health insurance premium volume in this state in the preceding calendar year, as certified by the commissioner. Beginning in 2014, the advisory group shall be comprised only of representatives of those carriers that are offering qualified plans in the exchange regardless of premium volume: Provided, That the member selected pursuant to this paragraph may not be an employee of a carrier or an affiliate of a carrier eligible to select such member; and
(4) One person to represent the interests of health care providers selected by the majority vote of an advisory group comprised of a representative of each of the following: West Virginia Association of Free Clinics, West Virginia Hospital Association, West Virginia State Medical Association, West Virginia Primary Care Association, West Virginia Nurses Association, West Virginia Society of Osteopathic Medicine, West Virginia Academy of Family Physicians, West Virginia Pharmacists Association, West Virginia Dental Association, West Virginia Behavioral Health Care Providers, West Virginia Chiropractic Society, West Virginia Optometric Association, West Virginia Podiatric Medical Association, West Virginia Physical Therapists Association, and a full-time health officer of a county or regional health department selected by all full-time health officers of all county or regional health departments.
(5) Selection of board members pursuant to paragraphs (3) and (4) of this subdivision shall be conducted in a manner and at such times designated by the chair of the board.
(6) Each member appointed pursuant to paragraph (2) of this section or selected pursuant to paragraph (3) or (4) of this subsection shall serve a term of four years and is eligible to be reappointed, except that the term of each of the four persons initially appointed pursuant to paragraph (2) of this section to represent the groups listed therein shall be as follows: Individual consumer, one year; small employers, two years; labor, three years; and producers, four years. Any appointed or selected member whose term has expired may continue to serve until either he or she has been reappointed or his or her successor has been duly appointed or selected.
(c) Board members may be removed by the Governor for cause.
(d) Members of the board are not entitled to compensation for services performed as members but are entitled to reimbursement for all reasonable and necessary expenses actually incurred in the performance of their duties.
(e) Seven members of the board constitute a quorum, and the affirmative vote of six members is necessary for any action taken by vote of the board. No vacancy in the membership of the board impairs the rights of a quorum by such vote to exercise all the rights and perform all the duties of the board.
(f) The board may employ an executive director who has overall management responsibility for the exchange and such employees as may be necessary. The executive director and employees of the exchange shall receive a salary as provided by the board. The executive director and all employees of the board are exempt from the classified service and not subject to the procedures and protections provided by article two, chapter six-c of this code and article six, chapter twenty-nine of this code;
(g) The board may establish ad hoc or standing advisory committees of consumers and other stakeholder groups or interested parties to study particular policy issues and to advise the board.
(h) The board shall make an annual report to the Governor and also file it with the Joint Committee on Government and Finance. The report shall summarize the activities of the exchange in the preceding calendar year.
(i) Neither the board nor its employees are liable for any obligations of the exchange. No member of the board or employee of the exchange is liable and no cause of action of any nature may arise against them for any act or omission related to the performance of their powers and duties under this article unless the act or omission constitutes willful or wanton misconduct. The board may provide in its bylaws or rules for indemnification of, and legal representation for, its members and employees.
(j) Members of the board shall receive governmental ethics
training within the first six months of being appointed.
Additional ethics training is required for board members at least
every two years thereafter.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.