(1) The insurer provides written notice to each individual provided this type of coverage at least ninety days prior to the date of the discontinuation of coverage;
(2) The insurer offers to each individual in the individual market provided this type of coverage the option to purchase any other type of individual accident and sickness insurance policy currently offered by that insurer; and
(3) The insurer acts uniformly without regard to any health status-related factor of enrolled individuals or individuals who may become eligible for coverage.
(b) An insurer may discontinue offering all individual accident and sickness insurance coverage in the individual market offered in this state only if:
(1) The insurer provides written notice to the insurance commissioner and to each insured of the discontinuation at least one hundred eighty days prior to the expiration of coverage; and
(2) All accident and sickness insurance policies issued or delivered for issuance in this state in the individual market are discontinued and coverage under the policies in the individualmarket is not renewed.
(c) In the case of discontinuation under subsection (b) of this section, the insurer may not provide for the issuance of any accident and sickness insurance coverage in the individual market and state during the five-year period beginning on the date of the discontinuation of the last accident and sickness insurance coverage not so renewed.
(d) At the time of renewal, an insurer may modify coverage under an accident and sickness policy only if the modification is consistent with the provisions of this article and article twenty-eight of this chapter and is effective on a uniform basis among all individuals with that policy form. For individuals who are eligible for medicare at the time of renewal, the insurer may modify coverage to reduce benefits by an amount no more than that paid by medicare.
(e) This section applies to individual accident and sickness insurance coverage offered, sold, issued, renewed or in effect after the thirtieth day of June, one thousand nine hundred ninety-seven.
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.