(1) Require, as a condition precedent to the lending of money or extension of credit, or any renewal thereof, that the person to whom such money or credit is extended or whose obligation the creditor is to acquire or finance, negotiate any policy or contract of insurance through a particular insurer or group of insurers or agent or broker or group of agents or brokers;
(2) Unreasonably disapprove the insurance policy provided by a borrower for the protection of the property securing the credit or lien;
(3) Require directly or indirectly that any borrower, mortgagor, purchaser, insurer, broker, or agent pay a separate charge, in connection with the handling of any insurance policy required as security for a loan on real estate, or pay a separate charge to substitute the insurance policy of one insurer for that of another; or
(4) Use or disclose information resulting from a requirement that a borrower, mortgagor or purchaser furnish insurance of any kind on real property being conveyed or used as collateral security to a loan, when such information is to the advantage of the mortgagee, vendor, or lender, or is to the detriment of the borrower, mortgagor, purchaser, insurer, or the agent or broker complying with such a requirement.
(b) (1) Subdivision (3), subsection (a) does not include the interest which may be charged on premium loans or premium advancements in accordance with the security instrument.
(2) For purposes of subdivision (2), subsection (a) such disapproval shall be deemed unreasonable if it is not based solely on reasonable standards uniformly applied, relating to the extent of coverage required and the financial soundness and the services of an insurer. Such standards shall not discriminate against any particular type of insurer, nor shall such standards call for the disapproval of an insurance policy because such policy contains coverage in addition to that required.
(3) The commissioner may investigate the affairs of any person to whom this subsection applies to determine whether such person has violated this subsection. If a violation of the subsection is found, the person in violation shall be subject to the same procedures and penalties as are applicable to other provisions of this article.
(4) For purposes of this section, "person" includes any individual, corporation, association, partnership, or other legal entity.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2013 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.