(1) "Commissioner" means the Commissioner of Financial Institutions of this state.
(2) "Check" or "payment instrument" means any check, traveler's check, draft, money order or other instrument for the transmission or payment of money whether or not the instrument is negotiable. The term does not include a credit card voucher, a letter of credit or any instrument that is redeemable by the issuer in goods or services.
(3) "Currency" means a medium of exchange authorized or adopted by a domestic or foreign government.
(4) "Currency exchange" means the conversion of the currency of one government into the currency of another government, but does not include the issuance and sale of travelers checks denominated in a foreign currency. Transactions involving the electronic transmission of funds by licensed money transmitters which may permit, but do not require, the recipient to obtain the funds in a foreign currency outside of West Virginia are not currency exchange transactions: Provided, That they are not reportable as currency exchange transactions under federal laws and regulations.
(5) "Currency exchange, transportation, transmission business" means a person who is engaging in currency exchange, currency transportation or currency transmission as a service or for profit.
(6) "Currency transmission" or "money transmission" means engaging in the business of selling or issuing checks or the business of receiving currency, the payment of money, or other value that substitutes for money by any means for the purpose of transmitting, either prior to or after receipt, that currency, payment of money or other value that substitutes for money by wire, facsimile or other electronic means, or through the use of a financial institution, financial intermediary, the Federal Reserve system or other funds transfer network. It includes the transmission of funds through the issuance and sale of stored value or similar prepaid products' cards which are intended for general acceptance and used in commercial or consumer transactions.
(7) "Currency transportation" means knowingly engaging in the business of physically transporting currency from one location to another in a manner other than by a licensed armored car service exempted under section three of this article.
(8) "Licensee" means a person licensed by the commissioner under this article.
(9) "Money order" means any instrument for the transmission or payment of money in relation to which the purchaser or remitter appoints or purports to appoint the seller thereof as his or her agent for the receipt, transmission or handling of money, whether the instrument is signed by the seller, the purchaser or remitter or some other person.
(10) "Person" means any individual, partnership, association, joint stock association, limited liability company, trust or corporation.
(11) "Principal" means a licensee's owner, president, senior
officer responsible for the licensee's business, chief financial
officer or any other person who performs similar functions or who
otherwise controls the conduct of the affairs of a licensee. A
person controlling ten percent or more of the voting stock of any
corporate applicant is a principal under this provision.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2016 Regular Session
The West Virginia Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.