(b) If the board of directors does not fix the record date for determining shareholders entitled to a distribution, it is the date the board of directors authorizes the distribution: Provided, That this subsection does not apply to a distribution involving a purchase, redemption or other acquisition of the corporation's shares.
(c) No distribution may be made if, after giving it effect:
(1) The corporation would not be able to pay its debts as they become due in the usual course of business; or
(2) The corporation's total assets would be less than the sum of its total liabilities plus the amount that would be needed, if the corporation were to be dissolved at the time of the distribution, to satisfy the preferential rights upon dissolution of shareholders whose preferential rights are superior to those receiving the distribution unless the articles of incorporation permit otherwise.
(d) The board of directors may base a determination that a distribution is not prohibited under subsection (c) of this section either on financial statements prepared on the basis of accounting practices and principles that are reasonable in the circumstances or on a fair valuation or other method that is reasonable in the circumstances.
(e) Except as provided in subsection (g) of this section, the effect of a distribution under subsection (c) of this section is measured:
(1) In the case of distribution by purchase, redemption or other acquisition of the corporation's shares, as of the earlier of: (A) The date money or other property is transferred or debt incurred by the corporation; or (B) the date the shareholder ceases to be a shareholder with respect to the acquired shares;
(2) In the case of any other distribution of indebtedness, as of the date the indebtedness is distributed; and
(3) In all other cases, as of: (A) The date the distribution is authorized if the payment occurs within one hundred twenty days after the date of authorization; or (B) the date the payment is made if it occurs more than one hundred twenty days after the date of authorization.
(f) A corporation's indebtedness to a shareholder incurred by reason of a distribution made in accordance with this section is at parity with the corporation's indebtedness to its general, unsecured creditors except to the extent subordinated by agreement.
(g) Indebtedness of a corporation, including indebtedness issued as a distribution, is not considered a liability for purposes of determinations under subsection (c) of this section if its terms provide that payment of principal and interest are made only if and to the extent that payment of a distribution to shareholders could then be made under this section. If the indebtedness is issued as a distribution, each payment of principal or interest is treated as a distribution, the effect of which is measured on the date the payment is actually made.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2016 Regular Session
The West Virginia Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.