(1) The customer has executed a written authorization pursuant to section three of this article;
(2) The financial records are disclosed in response to a judicial order, warrant, summons or subpoena issued by a court of competent jurisdiction or a valid administrative order or subpoena of a state entity expressly ordering or requiring the disclosure of financial records: Provided, That any subpoena issued pursuant to the provisions of this subsection shall comply with the provisions of section five of this article;
(3) The financial records are disclosed in response to a judicial order authorizing the appointment of the state entity or its agent: (A) As guardian of the customer or conservator of his or her property; or (B) as administrator or executor of the customer's estate;
(4) The financial records are disclosed: (A) Pursuant to a state or federal rule of civil or criminal procedure or any comparable rule of another court of competent jurisdiction; (B) in response to a subpoena issued in connection with any pending civil or criminal proceeding in which a state entity is a party; or (C) in response to interrogatories in aid of execution propounded by a state entity where it is a judgment creditor of the customer;
(5) The financial records are disclosed to law-enforcement officers pursuant to a grand jury or trial subpoena resulting from a criminal investigation which complies with the provisions of section six of this article; or
(6) As may be required or permitted by any other state or federal law.
(b) No state entity obtaining financial records pursuant to the provisions of this article and no person who obtains financial records from a state entity which obtained such financial records pursuant to the provisions of this article shall disclose such financial records: (i) To any other state entity unless such other state entity has authority or authorization to receive the financial record in accordance with the provisions of this article; or (ii) to any person unless such person has authority or authorization to receive the financial record: Provided, That nothing herein shall limit or prevent the disclosure of financial records which are otherwise public documents or matters of public record or the disclosure of financial records made to facilitate a lawful proceeding, investigation, examination or inspection by a state entity. Financial records obtained under this article by a state entity shall not be subject to disclosure under the provisions of article one, chapter twenty-nine-b of this code.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.