WVC 31 - 15 C- 2
For the purposes of this article:
(1) "Broadband" or "broadband service" means any service
providing advanced telecommunications capability with the same
downstream data rate and upstream data rate as is specified by the
Federal Communications Commission and that does not require the
end-user to dial up a connection that has the capacity to always be
on, and for which the transmission speeds are based on regular
available bandwidth rates, not sporadic or burstable rates, with
latency suitable for real-time applications and services such as
voice-over Internet protocol and video conferencing, and with
monthly usage capacity reasonably comparable to that of residential
terrestrial fixed broadband offerings in urban areas: Provided
That as the Federal Communications Commission updates the
downstream data rate and the upstream data rate the council will
publish the revised data rates in the State Register within sixty
days of the federal update.
(2) "Broadband demand promotion project" means a statewide or
regional project to undertake activities to promote demand for
broadband services and broadband applications.
(3) "Broadband deployment project" means a project to provide
broadband services in areas as defined in section six of this
(4) "Council" means the Broadband Enhancement Council.
(5) "Downstream data rate" means the transmission speed from the service provider source to the end-user.
(6) "Upstream data rate" means the transmission speed from the
end-user to the service provider source.
(7) "Unserved area" means a community that has no access to
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.