(a) A licensee may not administer pharmaceutical agents by injection, other than epinephrine to treat emergency cases of anaphylaxis or anaphylactic shock, unless the provisions of this section, along with any legislative rule promulgated pursuant to this section, have been met.
(b) Additional pharmaceutical agents by injection may be included in the rules for legislative approval in accordance with the provisions of article three, chapter twenty-nine-a of this code. These rules shall provide, at a minimum, for the following:
(1) Establishment of a course, or provide a list of approved courses, in administration of pharmaceutical agents by injection;
(2) Definitive treatment guidelines which shall include, but not be limited to, appropriate observation for an adverse reaction of an individual following the administration of a pharmaceutical agent by injection;
(3) A requirement that a licensee shall have completed a board approved injectable administration course and completed an American Red Cross or American Heart Association basic life-support training, and maintain certification in the same;
(4) Continuing education requirements for this area of practice;
(5) Reporting requirements for licensees administering pharmaceutical agents by injection to report to the primary care physician or other licensed health care provider as identified by the person receiving the pharmaceutical agent by injection;
(6) Reporting requirements for licensees administering pharmaceutical agents by injection to report to the appropriate entities;
(7) That a licensee may not delegate the authority to administer pharmaceutical agents by injection to any other person; and
(8) Any other provisions necessary to implement the provisions of this section.
(c) In no event may a licensee be granted authority under this section to administer a pharmaceutical agent by injection directly into the globe of the eye.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2016 Regular Session
The West Virginia Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.