(a) To be eligible for registration as a pharmacy technician to assist in the practice of pharmacist care, the applicant shall:
(1) Submit a written application to the board;
(2) Pay the applicable fees;
(3) Have graduated from high school or obtained a Certificate of General Educational Development (GED) or equivalent;
(A) Graduated from a competency-based pharmacy technician education and training program as approved by legislative rule of the board; or
(B)Completed a pharmacy provided, competency-based education and training program approved by the board;
(5) Effective July 1, 2014, have successfully passed an examination developed using nationally recognized and validated psychometric and pharmacy practice standards approved by the board;
(6) Not be an alcohol or drug abuser, as these terms are defined in section eleven, article one-a, chapter twenty-seven of this code: Provided, That an applicant in an active recovery process, which may, in the discretion of the board, be evidenced by participation in a twelve-step program or other similar group or process, may be considered;
(8) Not have been convicted of a felony in any jurisdiction within ten years preceding the date of application for license, which conviction remains unreversed;
(9) Not have been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony in any jurisdiction if the offense for which he or she was convicted bearing a rational nexus to the practice of pharmacist care, which conviction remains unreversed; and
(10) Have fulfilled any other requirement specified by the board in rule.
(b) A person whose license to practice pharmacist care has been denied, revoked, suspended, or restricted for disciplinary purposes in any jurisdiction is not eligible to be registered as a pharmacy technician.
(c) A person registered to assist in the practice pharmacist care issued by the board prior to June 30, 2014, shall for all purposes be considered registered under this article and may renew pursuant to the provisions of this article.
The West Virginia Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.