(1) "Board" means the West Virginia board of dental examiners;
(2) "Dental laboratory" means a business performing dental laboratory services: Provided, That there is excluded from the definition dentists and other dental practitioners performing dental laboratory services and persons performing dental laboratory services under the direct supervision of a dentist or other dental practitioner in cases where dental laboratory services are performed in connection with, and as a part of, the dental practice of the dentist or other dental practitioner and for his or her dental patients;
(3) "Dental prosthesis" means an artificial appliance fabricated to replace one or more teeth or other oral or peri-oral structure in order to restore or alter function and aesthetics;
(4) "Dental laboratory service" means the fabricating, repairing or altering of any dental prosthesis;
(5) "Dental laboratory technician" means a person qualified by education, training and experience who has completed a dental laboratory technology education program and who fabricates, repairs or alters a dental prosthesis in accordance with a dentist's work authorization;
(6) "Dentist" means a dentist licensed pursuant to the provisions of article four of this chapter;
(7) "Other dental practitioner" means those persons excluded from the definition of the practice of dentistry under the provisions of subsections (3), (4) and (5), section twenty-nine, article four of this chapter and also those persons who hold temporary permits to practice dentistry or teaching permits which have been issued to them under the provisions of section fourteen, article four of this chapter; and
(8) "Work authorization" means a written order for dental laboratory services which has been issued by a licensed dentist or other dental practitioner.
(b) Each work authorization must contain the following information: (1) The name and address of the dental laboratory to which it is directed; (2) the case identification; (3) a specification of the materials to be used; (4) a description of the work to be done and, if necessary, diagrams thereof; (5) the date of issue; and (6) the signature and address of the dentist or other dental practitioner issuing the work authorization. A separate work authorization must be issued for each patient of the dentist or other dental practitioner for whom a dental laboratory service is to be performed.
(c) Every work authorization must be made in duplicate with the original being delivered to the dental laboratory to which it is directed and the copy being retained in the office of the issuing dentist or other dental practitioner. A work authorization must be saved for a period of two years from its date of issue.
(b) It is unlawful for any person, other than a dentist or other dental practitioner, to sell, offer for sale or furnish any dental prosthesis or other dental laboratory service to any person who is not a dentist or other dental practitioner.
(c) It is unlawful for any person to perform dental laboratory services without a work authorization: Provided, That this subsection does not apply to a dentist or other dental practitioner, or to their employees working under their direct supervision, performing dental laboratory services as a part of their own dental practice and for their own dental patients.
(d) It is unlawful for any dental laboratory to perform any dental laboratory service without the issuance of a work authorization by a dentist or other dental practitioner.
(e) It is unlawful for any dental laboratory or dentist who fabricates a full upper or full lower set of prosthetic dentures not to affix upon the dentures, in a nonremovable manner, the name of the patient, the initials of the dentist's state of practice and license identification.
(b) Any person or firm who knowingly violates any provision of section five of this article is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars or confined in the county or regional jail not more than one year or both fined and imprisoned.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2012 1st Special Session