(1) "Approved dental hygiene program" means a program that is approved by the board and is accredited or its educational standards are deemed by the board to be substantially equivalent to those required by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association.
(2) "Approved dental school, college or dental department of a university" means a dental school, college or dental department of a university that is approved by the board and is accredited or its educational standards are deemed by the board to be substantially equivalent to those required by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association.
(3) "Authorize" means that the dentist is giving permission or approval to dental auxiliary personnel to perform delegated procedures in accordance with the dentist's diagnosis and treatment plan.
(4) "Board" means the West Virginia Board of Dental Examiners;
(5) "Certificate of qualification" means a certificate authorizing a dentist to practice a specialty.
(6) "Delegated procedures" means those procedures specified by law or by rule of the board and performed by dental auxiliary personnel under the supervision of a licensed dentist.
(7) "Dental assistant" means a person qualified by education, training and experience who aids or assists a dentist in the delivery of patient care in accordance with delegated procedures or who may perform nonclinical duties in the dental office: Provided, That no occupational title other than dental assistant shall be used to describe this auxiliary.
(8) "Dental auxiliary personnel" or "auxiliary" means dental hygienists and dental assistants who assist the dentist in the provision of oral health care services to patients.
(9) "Dental hygienist" means a person licensed by the board who provides preventative oral health care services to patients in the dental office and in a public health setting: Provided, That no occupational title other than dental hygienist may be used to describe this auxiliary.
(10) "Dental laboratory" means a dental laboratory as defined in section one, article four-b of this chapter.
(11) "Dental office" means the place where the licensed dentist and dental auxiliary personnel are practicing dentistry.
(12) "Dental prosthesis" means an artificial appliance fabricated to replace one or more teeth or other oral or peri-oral structure in order to restore or alter function or aesthetics.
(13) "Dentist" means an individual licensed by the board to practice dentistry.
(14) "Dentistry" means the evaluation, diagnosis, prevention and treatment of diseases, disorders and conditions of the oral cavity, maxillofacial area and the adjacent and associated structures provided by a dentist.
(15) "Direct supervision" means supervision of dental auxiliary personnel provided by a licensed dentist who is physically present in the dental office or treatment facility when procedures are being performed.
(16) "General supervision" means a dentist is not required to be in the office or treatment facility when procedures are being performed by the auxiliary dental personnel, but has personally diagnosed the condition to be treated, has personally authorized the procedures and will evaluate the treatment provided by the dental auxiliary personnel.
(17) "Good moral character" means a lack of history of dishonesty.
(18) "License" means a license to practice dentistry or dental hygiene.
(19) "Licensee" means a person holding a license.
(20) "Public health practice" means treatment or procedures in a public health setting which shall be designated by a rule promulgated by the Board of Dental Examiners to require direct, general or no supervision of a dental hygienist by a licensed dentist.
(21) "Public health setting" means hospitals, schools, correctional facilities, jails, community clinics, long-term care facilities, nursing homes, home health agencies, group homes, state institutions under the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources, public health facilities, homebound settings, accredited dental hygiene education programs and any other place designated by the board by rule.
(22) "Specialty" means the practice of a certain branch of dentistry.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2012 1st Special Session