(a) The board may issue a dental intern or dental resident permit to an applicant who has been accepted as a dental intern or dental resident by a licensed hospital or dental school in this state which maintains an established dental department under the supervision of a licensed dentist and meets the following qualifications:
(1) Has graduated from a Commission on Dental Accreditation or equivalent approved dental college, school or dental department of a university with a degree in dentistry;
(2) Has paid the application fee specified by rule; and
(3) Meets the other qualifications specified by rule.
(b) The dental intern or dental resident permit may be renewed and expires on the earlier of:
(1) The date the permit holder ceases to be a dental intern or dental resident; or
(2) One year after the date of issue.
(c) The board may issue a teaching permit to an applicant who is not otherwise licensed to practice dentistry in this state and who meets the following conditions:
(1) Is authorized or is eligible, as determined by the board, for a authorization to practice dentistry in another jurisdiction;
(2) Has met or been approved under the credentialing standards of a dental school or an academic medical center with which the person is to be affiliated: Provided, That the dental school or academic medical center is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation or Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Care Organizations;
(3) The permittee may teach and practice dentistry in or on behalf of a dental school or college offering a doctoral degree in dentistry operated and conducted in this state, in connection with an academic medical center or at any teaching hospital adjacent to a dental school or an academic medical center;
(4) Shall successfully complete the West Virginia Dental Law Examination;
(5) Shall pay annual renewal fees to the board;
(6) Shall comply with continuing education requirements; and
(7) Has had no disciplinary actions taken or pending against him or her by any other jurisdiction.
(d) A teaching permit may be renewed annually with a written recommendation from the dental school dean.
(e) While in effect, a permittee is subject to the restrictions and requirements imposed by this article to the same extent as a licensee. In addition, a permittee may not receive any fee for service other than a salary paid by the hospital or dental school .