(a) The West Virginia real estate appraiser licensing and certification board, which consists of nine members appointed by the Governor with the advice and consent of the Senate, is continued.
(1) Each member shall be a resident of the state of West Virginia, except the appraisal management company representative is not required to be a resident of West Virginia.
(2) Four members shall be certified real estate appraisers having at least five years' experience in appraisal as a principal line of work immediately preceding their appointment, and shall remain certified real estate appraisers throughout their terms.
(3) Two members shall have at least five years' experience in real estate lending as employees of financial institutions.
(4) Two members may not be engaged in the practice of real estate appraisal, real estate brokerage or sales or have any financial interest in these practices.
(5) One member shall be a representative from an appraisal management company registered under the provisions of article thirty-eight-a of this chapter.
(6) No member of the board may concurrently be a member of the West Virginia real estate commission.
(7) Not more than two appraiser members may be appointed from each congressional district.
(b) Members will be appointed for three-year terms, which are staggered in accordance with the initial appointments under prior enactment of this act.
(1) No member may serve for more than three consecutive terms.
(2) Before entering upon the performance of his or her duties, each member shall subscribe to the oath required by section five, article four of the constitution of this state.
(3) The Governor shall, within sixty days following the occurrence of a vacancy on the board, fill the vacancy by appointing a person who meets the requirements of this section for the unexpired term.
(4) Any member may be removed by the Governor in case of incompetency, neglect of duty, gross immorality or malfeasance in office.
(c) The board shall elect a chairman.
(d) A majority of the members of the board constitutes a quorum.
(e) The board shall meet at least once in each calendar quarter on a date fixed by the board.
(1) The board may, upon its own motion, or shall upon the written request of three members of the board, call additional meetings of the board upon at least twenty-four hours' notice.
(2) No member may participate in a proceeding before the board to which a corporation, partnership or unincorporated association is a party, and of which he or she is or was at any time in the preceding twelve months a director, officer, owner, partner, employee, member or stockholder.
(3) A member may disqualify himself or herself from participation in a proceeding for any other cause the member considers sufficient.
(f) The appointed members will receive compensation and expense reimbursement in accordance with the provisions of section eleven, article one of this chapter.
(g) The board may employ staff as necessary to perform the functions of the board, to be paid out of the board fund created by the provisions of this article. Persons employed by any real estate agent, broker, appraiser or lender, or by any partnership, corporation, association or group engaged in any real estate business, may not be employed by the board.
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.