(a) Unless the context in which used clearly requires a different meaning, as used in this article:
(1) "Acupuncture" means a form of health care, based on a theory of energetic physiology, that describes the interrelationship of the body organs or functions with an associated point or combination of points.
(2) "Board" means the West Virginia acupuncture board.
(3) "License" means a license issued by the board to practice acupuncture.
(4) "Moxibustion" means the burning of mugwort on or near the skin to stimulate the acupuncture point.
(5) "Practice acupuncture" means the use of oriental medical therapies for the purpose of normalizing energetic physiological functions including pain control, and for the promotion, maintenance and restoration of health.
(b) "Practice acupuncture" includes:
(1) Stimulation of points of the body by the insertion of acupuncture needles;
(2) The application of moxibustion; and
(3) Manual, mechanical, thermal or electrical therapies only when performed in accordance with the principles of oriental acupuncture medical theories.
The West Virginia Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.