(a) A person may not practice respiratory care or represent himself or herself to be a respiratory care practitioner unless he or she is licensed under this article except as otherwise provided by this article.
(b) This article does not prohibit:
(1) The practice of respiratory care which is an integral part of the program of study by students enrolled in respiratory care education programs accredited by organizations approved by the board. Students enrolled in respiratory care education programs shall be identified as "student RCP" and may only provide respiratory care under clinical supervision;
(2) Self-care by a patient, or gratuitous care by a friend or family member who does not represent or hold himself or herself out to be a respiratory care practitioner;
(3) Respiratory care services rendered in the course of an emergency;
(4) Persons in the military services or working in federal facilities providing respiratory care services when functioning in the course of their assigned duties; or
(5) The respiratory care practitioner from performing advances in the art and techniques of respiratory care learned through formalized or specialized training approved by the board.
(c) Nothing in this article is intended to limit, preclude or otherwise interfere with the practices of other persons and health care providers licensed by appropriate agencies of the state.
(d) Nothing in this article prohibits home medical equipment dealers from delivering and instructing persons in the operation of home medical respiratory equipment, or from receiving requests for changes in equipment and settings from physicians or other authorized individuals.
(e) An individual who passes an examination or successfully completes training that includes content in one or more of the functions included in this article is not prohibited from performing those procedures for which he or she was tested, so long as the testing body offering the examination or training is approved by the board.
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.