As used in this article:
(1) "Board" means the West Virginia Board of Medicine established in section five of this article.
(2) "Medical peer review committee" means a committee of, or appointed by, a state or local professional medical society, or a committee of, or appointed by, a medical staff of a licensed hospital, long-term care facility or other health care facility, or any health care peer review organization as defined in section one, article three-c of this chapter, or any other organization of professionals in this state formed pursuant to state or federal law and authorized to evaluate medical and health care services.
(3) "Practice of medicine and surgery" means the diagnosis or treatment of, or operation or prescription for, any human disease, pain, injury, deformity or other physical or mental condition. "Surgery" includes the use on humans of lasers, ionizing radiation, pulsed light and radiofrequency devices. The provisions of this section do not apply to any person who is a duly licensed health care provider under other pertinent provisions of this code and who is acting within the scope of his or her license.
(4) "Practice of podiatry" means the examination, diagnosis, treatment, prevention and care of conditions and functions of the human foot and ankle by medical, surgical and other scientific knowledge and methods; with surgical treatment of the ankle authorized only when a podiatrist has been granted privileges to perform ankle surgery by a hospital's medical staff credentialing committee based on the training and experience of the podiatrist; and medical and surgical treatment of warts and other dermatological lesions of the hand which similarly occur in the foot. When a podiatrist uses other than local anesthesia, in surgical treatment of the foot, the anesthesia must be administered by, or under the direction of, an anesthesiologist or certified registered nurse anesthetist authorized under the State of West Virginia to administer anesthesia. A medical evaluation shall be made by a physician of every patient prior to the administration of other than local anesthesia.
(5) "State health officer" means the commissioner for the Bureau for Public Health or his or her designee, which officer or designee shall be a physician and shall act as secretary of the board and shall carry out any and all responsibilities assigned in this article to the secretary of the board.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2016 Regular Session
The West Virginia Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.