(a) The board may establish an apprenticeship program to become a barber. A barber apprentice shall work at all times under the direct supervision of a licensed barber and any permit issued by the board to work as a barber apprentice does not allow a person to practice individually as a barber.
(b) An applicant for a barber apprenticeship shall present satisfactory evidence that he or she:
(1) Is at least eighteen years of age;
(2) Is of good moral character;
(3) Has a high school diploma, a GED, or has passed the "ability to benefit test" approved by the United States Department of Education;
(4) Has paid the applicable fee;
(5) Has a certificate of health from a licensed physician;
(6) Is a citizen of the United States or is eligible for employment in the United States; and
(7) Has fulfilled any other requirement specified by the board.
(c) An applicant for a sponsor of a barber apprentice shall present satisfactory evidence that he or she:
(1) Is licensed as a barber under the provisions of this article;
(2) Has paid the applicable fee; and
(3) Has fulfilled any other requirement specified by the board.
(d) The board may propose emergency rules and rules for legislative approval, in accordance with the provisions of article three, chapter twenty-nine-a of this code, to implement the provisions of this section, including:
(1) The requirements for:
(A) The barber apprenticeship program;
(B) The barber apprentice permit; and
(C) A licensed barber to sponsor a barber apprentice;
(2) Procedures for an examination;
(3) A fee schedule; and
(4) Any other rules necessary to effectuate the provisions of this section.
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.