(a) An applicant for a professional license to practice as a aesthetician, barber, barber crossover, barber permanent wavist, cosmetologist, hair stylist, cosmetologist crossover or nail technician shall present satisfactory evidence that he or she:
(1) Is at least eighteen years of age;
(2) Is of good moral character;
(3) Has a high school diploma, a GED, or has passed the "ability to benefit test" approved by the United States Department of Education;
(4) Has graduated from a licensed school which has been approved by the West Virginia Council for Community and Technical College Education or has completed education requirements in another state and meets the licensure provisions of the board;
(5) Has passed an examination that tests the applicant's knowledge of subjects specified by the board: Provided, That the board may recognize a certificate or similar license in lieu of the examination or part of the examination that the board requires;
(6) Has paid the applicable fee;
(7) Presents a certificate of health from a licensed physician;
(8) Is a citizen of the United States or is eligible for employment in the United States; and
(9) Has fulfilled any other requirement specified by the board.
(b) A license to practice issued by the board prior to July 1, 2009, shall for all purposes be considered a professional license issued under this article: Provided, That a person holding a license issued prior to July 1, 2009, must renew the license pursuant to the provisions of this article.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.