(a) Prior to opening a salon, any person, firm or corporation owning and/or operating a salon, and any person, firm or corporation practicing in a field authorized by this article, shall meet the following requirements to acquire a salon license to do business:
(1) The salon has been approved by the board as having met all the requirements and qualifications for the place of business as are required by this article;
(2) Notify the board, in writing, at least twenty days before the proposed opening date, so there can be an inspection of the salon: Provided, That if an inspection is not made within ten days of the opening of the salon, or a salon license to open has not been granted or refused, then the salon may open provisionally subject to a later inspection and to all other provisions and rules provided for in this article;
(3) Pay all applicable fees;
(4) All rooms, facilities, bathrooms, toilets and adjoining rooms used in the place of business are kept clean, sanitary, well lighted and ventilated at all times. The use of chunk alum, powder puffs and styptic pencils in any shop is prohibited;
(5) Every professional licensee or permitee in the place of business thoroughly cleans his or her hands with soap and water immediately before serving any patron; and
(6) Every patron is served with clean, freshly laundered linen that is kept in a closed cabinet used for that purpose only. All linens, immediately after being used, must be placed in a receptacle used for that purpose only.
(b) All rules shall be kept posted in a conspicuous place in each place of business.
(c) All salon licenses must be renewed annually or biennially on or before July 1 and pay a renewal fee.
(d) A license to operate a salon issued by the board prior to July 1, 2009, shall for all purposes be considered a salon license issued under this article: Provided, That a person holding a license issued prior to July 1, 2009, must renew the license pursuant to the provisions of this article.
(e) The salon license shall be permanently displayed in the salon, and a suitable sign shall be displayed at the main entrance of the salon which shall plainly indicate what type of salon is being operated.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2014 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.