(a) The board may issue a certificate to be an instructor in a school to an applicant who meets the following requirements:
(1) Meets the educational requirements established by the board;
(2) Has completed the required instructor's training;
(3) Has passed the instructor examination;
(4) Has paid the appropriate fees;
(5) Presents a certificate of health from a licensed physician;
(6) Is a citizen of the United States or is eligible for employment in the United States; and
(7) Has fulfilled any other requirement specified by the board.
(b) All instructor certifications must be renewed annually or biennially on or before January 1, and pay a renewal fee.
(c) A certification to be an instructor issued by the board prior to January 1, 2009, shall for all purposes be considered a certification issued under this article: Provided, That a person holding a certification issued prior to January 1, 2009, must renew the certification pursuant to the provisions of this article.
(d) An instructor with an expired certificate must comply with the following to renew his or her certificate:
(1) Notify the board that he or she wants to be placed on inactive status; or
(2) Pay all lapsed renewal fees;
(3) Present a new certificate of health; and
(4) Meet the qualifications for certification set out in this article.
(e) A certified instructor is not required to have an active professional license, unless the instructor is in fact practicing outside the scope of his or her employment as an instructor.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.