Unless the context clearly requires otherwise, as used in this article:
(1) "Advertise," and any of its variants, means and includes the use of a newspaper, magazine, or other publication, book, notice, circular, pamphlet, letter, handbill, poster, bill, sign, placard, card, label, tag, window display, store sign, radio, television announcement or any other means or methods now or hereinafter employed to bring to the attention of the public the practice of fitting or dealing in hearing aids.
(2) "Board" means the West Virginia board of hearing-aid dealers.
(3) "Department" means the state department of health and when appropriate shall include the state director of health.
(4) "Hearing aid" means any wearable device or instrument or any combination thereof, designed for, represented as or offered for sale for the purpose of aiding, improving or compensating for defective or impaired human hearing and shall include earmolds, parts, attachments or other accessories thereto, but excluding batteries and cords.
(5) "Hearing-aid dealer" and "hearing-aid fitter" means any person engaged in the practice of dealing in or fitting of hearing aids.
(6) "License" means any license issued under the provisions of this article and shall include a temporary license. "Licensee" means any person holding any such license.
(7) "Person" means and includes any individual, partnership, trust, association, corporation or other like organization, or any combination thereof.
(8) "Practice of dealing in or fitting of hearing aids" means and includes:
(a) The measurement or other testing of human hearing by means of an audiometer, or by any other means;
(b) The selection, adaptation, fitting or sale of hearing aids by a person for the use of another person; or
(c) The making of impressions for earmolds.
(9) "Sell" or "sale" or any variant thereof, means any transfer of title or of the right of use by lease, bailment or any other contract, but shall not include transactions between distributors, dealers or licensees where the item transferred is intended for sale.
(10) "Trainee" means any person training to become a licensed hearing-aid dealer or fitter.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2014 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.