(a) To be eligible for registration by the board as an athletic trainer, an applicant shall:
(1) Submit an application in the form prescribed by the board;
(2) Submit a current certification from the National Athletic Trainers' Association Board of Certification or successor organization; and
(3) Pay the required fee.
(b) The board shall issue a registration to an applicant satisfying all the requirements in subsection (a) of this section: Provided, That the board may deny an application for registration if the applicant:
(1) Has been convicted of a felony or other crime involving moral turpitude;
(2) Is an alcohol or drug abuser as these terms are defined in section eleven, article one-a, chapter twenty-seven of this code: Provided, That the board may take into consideration that an applicant in an active recovery process, which may, in the discretion of the board, be evidenced by participation in a twelve-step program or other similar group or process;
(3) Has been convicted of fraudulent, false, misleading or deceptive advertising;
(4) Has been convicted for wrongfully prescribing medicines or drugs, or practicing any licensed profession without legal authority;
(5) Has had a registration or other authorization revoked, suspended, restricted or other disciplinary action taken by the proper authorities of another jurisdiction;
(6) Is incapacitated by a physical or mental disability which is determined by a physician to render further practice by the applicant inconsistent with competency and ethic requirements; or
(7) Has been convicted of sexual abuse or sexual misconduct.
(c) In determining whether an application should be denied for any of the reasons set forth in subsection (b), the board may consider:
(1) How recently the conduct occurred;
(2) The nature of the conduct and the context in which it occurred; and
(3) Any other relevant conduct of the applicant.
(d) A registration issued by the board is valid for two years from the date it was issued.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2013 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.