As used in this article:
(1) "Applicant" means any person making application for an original or renewal license or a temporary permit under the provisions of this article.
(2) "Board" means the West Virginia Board of Physical Therapy.
(3) "Business entity" means any firm, partnership, association, company, corporation, limited partnership, limited liability company or other entity providing physical therapy services.
(4) "Consultation" means a physical therapist renders an opinion or advice to another physical therapist or health care provider through telecommunications.
(5) "Direct supervision" means the actual physical presence of the physical therapist in the immediate treatment area where the treatment is being rendered.
(6) "General supervision" means the physical therapist must be available at least by telecommunications.
(7) "License" means a physical therapist license or license to act as a physical therapist assistant issued under the provisions of this article.
(8) "Licensee" means a person holding a license under the provisions of this article.
(9) "On-site supervision" means the supervising physical therapist is continuously on-site and present in the building where services are provided, is immediately available to the person being supervised, and maintains continued involvement in appropriate aspects of each treatment session.
(10) "Permit" or "temporary permit" means a temporary permit issued under the provisions of this article.
(11) "Permittee" means any person holding a temporary permit issued pursuant to the provisions of this article.
(12) "Physical therapy aide" means a person trained under the direction of a physical therapist who performs designated and routine tasks related to physical therapy services under the direction supervision of a physical therapist.
(13) "Physical therapist" means a person engaging in the practice of physical therapy who holds a license or permit issued under the provisions of this article.
(14) "Physical therapist assistant" means a person holding a license or permit issued under the provisions of this article who assists in the practice of physical therapy by performing patient related activities delegated to him or her by a physical therapist and performs under the supervision of a physical therapist and which patient related activities commensurate with his or her education and training, including physical therapy procedures, but not the performance of evaluative procedures or determination and modification of the patient plan of care.
(15) "Practice of physical therapy" or "physiotherapy" means the care and services as described in section nine of this article.
(16) "Telecommunication" means audio, video or data communication.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.