(a) In order to be eligible for any license to conduct security guard business, an applicant shall:
(1) Be at least eighteen years of age;
(2) Be a citizen of the United states or an alien who is legally residing within the United States;
(3) Not have had any previous license to conduct security guard business or to conduct the private investigation business revoked or any application for any such licenses or registrations denied by the appropriate governmental authority in this or any other state or territory;
(4) Not have been declared incompetent by reason of mental defect or disease by any court of competent jurisdiction unless said court has subsequently determined that the applicant's competency has been restored;
(5) Not suffer from habitual drunkenness or from narcotics addiction or dependence;
(6) Be of good moral character;
(7) Have had at least one year verified, full time employment conducting security guard business or conducting the private investigation business working for a licensed firm or have one year of substantially equivalent training or experience;
(8) Not have been convicted of a felony in this state or any other state or territory;
(9) Not have been convicted of any of the following:
(A) Illegally using, carrying or possessing a pistol or other dangerous weapon;
(B) Making or possessing burglar's instruments;
(C) Buying or receiving stolen property;
(D) Entering a building unlawfully;
(E) Aiding an inmate's escape from prison;
(F) Possessing or distributing illicit drugs;
(G) Any misdemeanor involving moral turpitude or for which dishonesty of character is a necessary element; and
(10) Not having violated any provision of section eight of this article.
The provisions of this section shall not prevent the issuance of a license to any person who, subsequent to his conviction, shall have received an executive pardon therefor, removing this disability.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2013 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.