(a) No person may practice or offer to practice, in this state, chiropractic without a license issued by the West Virginia board of chiropractic. A certificate or license issued under the laws of this state, authorizing its holder to practice chiropractic, before the effective date of this article is not affected by the enactment of this article, except that the holder of a certificate of license issued prior to the effective date of this article is subject to all the provisions of this article respecting the requirements and obligations prescribed for the continuance in force of the certificate of license.
(b) This article does not prohibit:
(1) Students from engaging in training in a chiropractic school accredited by the counsel on chiropractic education or its successor;
(2) Licensed chiropractors from providing service in cases of emergency where no fee or other consideration is contemplated, charged or received;
(3) Commissioned chiropractic officers of the armed forces of the United States and chiropractic officers of the United States public health service or the veterans' administration of the United States from discharging their official duties, except:
(A) Those officers who hold chiropractic licenses in the state are subject to the provisions of this article; and
(B) Those officers shall be fully licensed to practice chiropractic in one or more jurisdictions of the United States;
(4) Individuals from practicing the tenets of a religion or administering to the sick or suffering by mental or spiritual means in accord with the tenets. This provision does not exempt these individuals from the public health laws of the state or federal government; or
(5) A person from administering a lawful domestic or family remedy to a member of his or her own family.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2016 Regular Session
The West Virginia Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.