(a) A registered veterinary technician may do the following under general supervision:
(1) Administer anesthesia, including induction, intravenous sedation, and maintenance and recovery from anesthesia;
(2) Perform dental prophylaxis;
(3) Establish open airways;
(4) Administer resuscitative oxygen procedures;
(5) Administer resuscitative drugs, in the event of cardiac arrest;
(6) Administer immunizations that are not required by law to be administered by a licensed veterinarian;
(7) Prepare or supervise the preparation of patients for surgery;
(8) Assist the veterinarian in immunologic, diagnostic, medical, chemotherapeutic and surgical procedures; and
(9) Perform external suturing.
(b) A registered veterinary technician may do the following under either general or indirect supervision:
(1) Perform diagnostic imaging;
(2) Perform intravenous catheterization;
(3) Administer and apply medications and treatments by oral intramuscular, intravenous and subcutaneous routes;
(4) Apply bandages;
(5) Perform cardiac and respiratory monitoring;
(6) Perform appropriate procedures to control bleeding;
(7) Apply temporary splints or immobilizing bandages;
(8) Perform ear flushing;
(9) Collect specimens; and
(10) Perform laboratory procedures.
(c) A veterinary technician may, without supervision, use emergency treatment procedures when an animal has been placed in a life threatening condition and immediate treatment is necessary to sustain the animal's life. The registered veterinary technician shall immediately take steps to secure the general supervision of a veterinarian.
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.