(a) On and after January 1, 2009, a person performing or offering to perform fire protection work without a license issued by the State Fire Marshal, is subject to a citation.
(b) On and after January 1, 2016, a person performing or offering to perform, or an employer authorizing a person not exempt by the provisions of section three of this article, to perform, damper work without a license issued by the State Fire Marshal, is subject to a citation.
(c) Any person continuing to engage in fire protection work or damper work after the issuance of a citation is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction thereof, is subject to the following penalties:
(1) For the first offense, a fine of not less than $200 nor more than $1,000;
(2) For the second offense, a fine of not less than $500 nor more than $2,000, or confinement in jail for not more than six months, or both;
(3) For the third and subsequent offenses, a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $5,000, and confinement in jail for not less than thirty days nor more than one year.
(d) Each day after a citation is given that a person continues to perform, or an employer continues to authorize a person to perform, fire protection work or damper work, which is not exempt by the provisions of section three of this article, is a separate offense and punishable accordingly.
(e)(1) The State Fire Marshal may institute proceedings in the circuit court of Kanawha County or the county where the alleged violation of the provisions of this article occurred or are now occurring to enjoin any violation of any provision of this article.
(2) A circuit court by injunction may compel compliance with the provisions of this article, with the lawful orders of the State Fire Marshal and with any final decision of the State Fire Marshal.
(3) The State Fire Marshal shall be represented in all such proceedings by the Attorney General or his or her assistants.
(f) Any person adversely affected by an action of the State
Fire Marshal may appeal the action pursuant to the provisions of
chapter twenty-nine-a of this code.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2014 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.