(a) On and after January 1, 2009, a person performing or offering to perform fire protection work in this state shall have a license issued by the State Fire Marshal, in accordance with the provisions of this article.
(b) On and after January 1, 2016, a person performing or offering to perform damper work in this state shall have a license issued by the State Fire Marshal, in accordance with the provisions of this article and the legislative rules promulgated pursuant hereto: Provided, That a person may not be licensed to perform damper work in this state without first being licensed as a HVAC technician pursuant to the provisions of article sixteen, chapter twenty-one of this code.
(c) A person licensed under this article must carry a copy of the license on any job in which fire protection work is being performed.
(d) This article does not apply to:
(1) A person who personally performs fire protection work or damper work on a single family dwelling owned or leased, and occupied by that person;
(2) A person who performs fire protection work or damper work at any manufacturing plant or other industrial establishment as an employee of the person, firm or corporation operating the plant or establishment;
(3) A person who, while employed by a public utility or its affiliate, performs fire protection work in connection with the furnishing of public utility service.
(4) A person who performs fire protection work while engaging in the business of installing, altering or repairing water distribution or drainage lines outside the foundation walls of a building, public or private sewage treatment or water treatment systems including all associated structures or buildings, sewers or underground utility services;
(5) A person who performs fire protection work while engaged in the installation, extension, dismantling, adjustment, repair or alteration of a heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system, air-veyor system, air exhaust system or air handling system; or
(6) A person who performs fire protection work at a coal mine
that is being actively mined or where coal is being processed.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2016 Regular Session
The West Virginia Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.