(a) There is hereby created a boundary commission which shall consist of three members, who shall be residents and citizens of the state, all of whom shall have experience involving map reading or surveying. The commission members shall investigate state, county and municipal boundary disputes when requested to do so by the governor or Legislature. The commission members shall be appointed by the governor, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate, no later than the first day of July, one thousand nine hundred eighty-seven. No more than two members may belong to the same political party. The commission members shall serve a term concurrent with that of the governor's term in office. Commission members may be reappointed to additional terms.
(b) Members shall be reimbursed for reasonable and necessary expenses incurred in fulfilling the duties and responsibilities of the commission.
(c) The commission shall have the authority to:
(1) Establish a boundary line which shall be presumed correct unless proven otherwise in a court of law;
(2) Employ a surveyor or professional engineer licensed in this state to survey such boundary;
(3) Contract for the placement of monuments to identify any boundary line in dispute, such monuments to be handset by a licensed surveyor;
(4) Seek the assistance of the West Virginia geological and economic survey to identify the location of any boundary line in dispute and the recommended placement of marker locations;
(5) Meet with similar commissions or bodies of any of the several states contiguous with this state, whose purpose in their respective states is to establish state boundary lines coterminous with the boundary of the state of West Virginia and submit findings and recommendations to the Legislature, applicable to the location of any particular boundary segment in question;
(6) Recommend to the Legislature that appropriate legislation be enacted, establishing the true boundary line at those portions of the state boundary that are in dispute with another state or whose location is uncertain: Provided, That the contiguous state agrees with the recommendation;
(7) Recommend to the Legislature, where no agreement can be attained with another state as to the actual location of any portion of this state's boundary line, proper legislation to direct that the attorney general proceed under the constitution of the United States with litigation to adjudicate the exact and true location of any boundary line in dispute or whose precise location is unascertainable; and
(8) Prepare an annual report to the Legislature and governor, by the first day of the legislative session, concerning commission activities, recommendations and other necessary information.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2013 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.