(1) Establish minimum standards for gaming equipment, including, but not limited to, electronic and mechanical gaming equipment;
(2) Enter into licensing agreements with facilities eligible to operate West Virginia Lottery table games for the state, providing criteria and guidelines for preservation of the state's ownership, operation and control interests as provided by general law herein;
(3) Approve, modify or reject game rules of play proposed by the licensee for West Virginia Lottery table games proposed to be operated at a licensed racetrack;
(4) Approve, modify or reject minimum internal control standards proposed by the licensee governing racetrack table game operations, including the maintenance of financial records;
(5) Approve staff considered necessary by the director to oversee, inspect and monitor the operation of table games at any racetrack licensed under this article and article twenty-two-a of this chapter, including, but not limited to, inspection of designated gaming areas, gaming equipment and security equipment used in the operation of table games to assure continuous compliance with the provisions of this article, required license conditions and terms, and applicable rules of the commission;
(6) Determine eligibility of a person to hold or continue to hold a license issued under this article;
(7) Issue all licenses;
(8) Maintain a record of all licenses issued;
(9) Levy and collect the taxes imposed by this article and the fees, surcharges and civil penalties authorized, required or specified in this article or the legislative rules of the commission, and receive, accept and pay all taxes, fees, surcharges and civil penalties collected under this article into the Racetrack Table Games Fund, except as otherwise provided under this article; and
(10) Keep a public record of all commission actions and proceedings with respect to West Virginia Lottery table games.
(b) Powers. -- In addition to the powers set forth elsewhere in this article or in articles twenty-two, twenty-two-a, twenty-two-b and twenty-five of this chapter, the commission may:
(1) Sue to enforce any provision of this article or any rule of the commission, whether by civil action or petition for injunctive relief;
(2) Hold hearings, administer oaths and issue subpoenas for attendance of witnesses to testify or subpoenas duces tecum for the production of documents or other evidence;
(3) Enter a licensed racetrack with West Virginia Lottery table games at any time and without notice to ensure strict compliance with this article and with the rules of the commission;
(4) Bar, for cause, any person from:
(A) Entering a designated gaming area of a licensed racetrack with table games, or the grounds of a racetrack licensed under this article; or
(B) Participating in any capacity in the play of any West Virginia Lottery table game, or in the operation of West Virginia Lottery table games;
(5) Promulgate, or propose for promulgation, in accordance with the provision of article three, chapter twenty-nine-a of this code, any legislative, interpretive and procedural rules the commission considers necessary for the successful implementation, administration and enforcement of this article, and to amend or revoke any promulgated rule, in accordance with provisions of article three, chapter twenty-nine-a of this code, at the discretion of the commission. Any rule proposed by the commission before the first day of September, two thousand seven may be promulgated as an emergency rule;
(6) Upon the effective date of this article and prior to promulgation of emergency rules, the commission may accept applications, evaluate qualifications of applicants, and undertake initial review of licenses for: racetracks under section eight of this article; suppliers under section eleven of this article; racetrack employees under section twelve of this article; and providers of management services under section thirteen of this article; and
(7) Exercise any other powers necessary to effectuate the provisions of this article and the rules of the commission.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2013 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.