(a) Imposition and rate of tax. -- For the privilege of holding a license under this article to operate table games, there is levied and shall be collected from the racetrack table games licensee the annual privilege tax imposed by this section. The tax shall be thirty-five percent of the licensee's adjusted gross receipts from the operation of West Virginia Lottery table games. For purposes of calculating the amount of tax due under this section, the licensee shall use the accrual method of accounting.
(b) Tax returns and payment of tax. --
(1) The annual tax levied by subsection (a) of this section is due and payable to the commission in weekly installments on or before the Wednesday of the calendar week following the week in which the adjusted gross receipts were received and the tax accrued.
(2) The racetrack table games licensee shall, on or before Wednesday of each week, make out and submit by electronic communication to the commission, a return for the preceding week, in the form prescribed by the commission, showing:
(A) The total gross receipts and adjusted gross receipts from operation of West Virginia Lottery table games during that week;
(B) The amount of tax for which the racetrack table games licensee is liable; and
(C) Any additional information necessary in the computation and collection of the tax required by the commission.
(3) The amount of tax shown to be due on the return shall be remitted by electronic funds transfer simultaneously with the filing of the return. All payments received pursuant to this section shall be deposited in the Racetrack Table Games Fund in accordance with the provisions of section twenty-seven of this article.
(4) When adjusted gross receipts for a week is a negative number because the winnings paid to patrons wagering on the racetrack's West Virginia Lottery table games exceeds the racetrack's gross receipts from the purchase of table game tokens, chips or electronic media by patrons, the commission shall allow the licensee to, pursuant to rules of the commission, carry over the negative amount of adjusted gross receipts to returns filed for subsequent weeks. The negative amount of adjusted gross receipts may not be carried back to an earlier week and the commission is not required to refund any tax received by the commission, except when the licensee surrenders its license to act as agent of the commission in operating West Virginia lottery table games under this article and the licensee's last return filed under this section shows negative adjusted gross receipts. In that case, the commission shall multiply the amount of negative adjusted gross receipts by the applicable rate of tax and pay the amount to the licensee, in accordance with rules of the commission.
(c) Tax imposed by this section is in lieu of other taxes. --
(1) With the exception of the ad valorem property tax collected under chapter eleven-a of this code, the tax imposed by this section is in lieu of all other state taxes and fees imposed on the operation of, or the proceeds from operation of West Virginia Lottery table games, except as otherwise provided in this section.
The Consumers Sales and Services Tax imposed pursuant to article fifteen, chapter eleven of this code, shall not apply to the licensee's gross receipts from any wagering on West Virginia Lottery table games authorized pursuant to this article or to the licensee's purchase of gaming equipment, supplies or services directly used in operation of the table games authorized by this article. These purchases are also exempt from the Use Tax imposed by article fifteen-a, chapter eleven of this code.
(2) With the exception of the ad valorem property tax collected under chapter eleven-a of this code, the tax imposed by this section is in lieu of all local taxes and fees levied on or imposed with respect to the privilege of offering West Virginia Lottery table games to the public, including, but not limited to, the municipal business and occupation taxes and amusement taxes authorized by article thirteen, chapter eight of this code, and the municipal sales and service tax and use taxes authorized by article thirteen-c, chapter eight of this code.
(d) Prohibition on credits. -- Notwithstanding any other provision of this code to the contrary, no credit may be allowed against the tax imposed by this section or against any other tax imposed by any other provision of this code for any investment in gaming equipment, or for any investment in real property, or in improvements to the real property, that is used in the operation of West Virginia Lottery table games.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.