(a) There is hereby created the position of the lottery director whose duties include the management and administration of the state lottery office. The director shall be qualified by training and experience to direct the operations of the lottery, and shall be appointed, within ninety days of the effective date of this article, by the governor and shall serve at the will and pleasure of the governor. No person shall be appointed as lottery director who has been convicted of a felony or crime involving moral turpitude.
(b) The director serves on a full-time basis and may not be engaged in any other profession or occupation.
(c) The director:
(1) Shall have a good reputation, particularly as a person of honesty and integrity, and shall favorably pass a thorough background investigation prior to appointment;
(2) The director shall not hold political office in the government of the state either by election or appointment while serving as director;
(3) The director shall be a citizen of the United States and must become a resident of the state within ninety days of appointment;
(4) The director shall receive an annual salary as provided for by the governor; and
(5) The director and his or her executive secretary are ineligible for civil service coverage as provided in section four, article six, chapter twenty-nine of this code.
(d) Before entering upon the discharge of the duties as director, the director shall take and subscribe to the oath of office prescribed in section 5, article IV of the constitution of West Virginia and shall enter into a bond in the penal sum of one hundred thousand dollars with a corporate surety authorized to engage in business in this state, conditioned upon the faithful discharge and performance of the duties of the office. The executed oath and bond shall be filed in the office of the secretary of state.