(1) Promulgate rules in accordance with chapter twenty-nine-a of this code: Provided, That those rules promulgated by the commission that are necessary to begin the lottery games selected shall be exempted from the provisions of chapter twenty-nine-a of this code in order that the selected games may commence as soon as possible;
(2) Establish rules for conducting lottery games, a manner of selecting the winning tickets and manner of payment of prizes to the holders of winning tickets;
(3) Select the type and number of public gaming systems or games, to be played in accordance with the provisions of this article;
(4) Contract, if deemed desirable, with the educational broadcasting authority to provide services through its microwave interconnection system to make available to public broadcasting stations servicing this state and, at no charge, for rebroadcast to commercial broadcasting stations within this state, any public gaming system or games drawing;
(5) Enter into interstate and international lottery agreements with other states or foreign countries, or any combination of one or more states and one or more foreign countries;
(6) Adopt an official seal;
(7) Maintain a principal office and, if necessary, regional suboffices at locations properly designated or provided;
(8) Prescribe a schedule of fees and charges;
(9) Sue and be sued;
(10) Lease, rent, acquire, purchase, own, hold, construct, equip, maintain, operate, sell, encumber and assign rights of any property, real or personal, consistent with the objectives of the commission as set forth in this article;
(11) Designate one of the deputy directors to serve as acting director during the absence of the director;
(12) Hold hearings on any matter of concern to the commission relating to the lottery, subpoena witnesses, administer oaths, take testimony, require the production of evidence and documentary evidence and designate hearing examiners and employees to so act; and
(13) To make and enter into all agreements and do all acts necessary or incidental to the performance of its duties and the exercise of its powers under this article.
(b) Departments, boards, commissions or other agencies of this state shall provide assistance to the state lottery office upon the request of the director.
(c) Upon the request of the deputy director for the security and licensing division in conjunction with the director, the attorney general, department of public safety and all other law-enforcement agencies shall furnish to the director and the deputy director such information as may tend to assure the security, honesty, fairness and integrity in the operation and administration of the lottery as they may have in their possession, including, but not limited to, manual or computerized information and data. The director is to designate such employees of the security and licensing division as may be necessary to act as enforcement agents. Such agents are authorized to investigate complaints made to the commission or the state lottery office concerning possible violation of the provisions of this article and determine whether to recommend criminal prosecution. If it is determined that action is necessary, an agent, after approval of the director, is to make such recommendation to the prosecuting attorney in the county wherein the violation occurred or to any appropriate law-enforcement agency.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2012 1st Special Session