As used in this article unless the context clearly requires a different meaning:
(1) "Authority" means the West Virginia State Rail Authority created by this article, the duties, powers, responsibilities and functions of which are specified in this article.
(2) "Bond" or " state rail authority bond" means a revenue bond or rate issued by the State Rail Authority to effectuate the intents and purposes of this article.
(3) "Commuter rail" means a transit mode that is an electric or diesel propelled railway for urban passenger train service consisting of local short distance travel operating between a central city and adjacent suburbs. Service must be operated on a regular basis by or under contract with a transit operator for the purpose of transporting passengers within urbanized areas or between urbanized areas and outlying areas. The rail service, using either locomotive-hauled or self-propelled railroad passenger cars, is generally characterized by multitrip tickets, specific station-to-station fares or railroad employment practices and usually has only one or two stations in the central business district. It does not include heavy rail rapid transit or light rail/streetcar transit service. Intercity rail service is excluded except for that portion of service operated by or under contract with a public transit agency for predominantly commuter services. Only the predominantly commuter service portion of an intercity route is eligible for inclusion when determining commuter rail route miles.
(4) "Heavy rail" means a transit mode that is an electric railway with the capacity for a heavy volume of traffic. It is characterized by high speed and rapid acceleration passenger rail cars operating singly or in multicar trains on fixed rails, separate rights-of-way from which all other vehicular and foot traffic are excluded, sophisticated signaling and high platform loading.
(5) "Income" means and includes all money accruing to the authority from any source.
(6) "Light rail" means a transit mode that typically is an electric railway with a light volume traffic capacity compared to heavy rail. It is characterized by passenger rail cars operating singly or in short, usually two-car, trains, on fixed rails in shared or exclusive rights-of-way, low- or high-platform loading and vehicle power drawn from an overhead electric line via a trolley or a pantograph.
(7) "Owner" means and includes all individuals, copartnerships, associations, corporations, companies, transportation companies, public service corporations, the United States or any agency or instrumentality thereof, common carriers by rail and railroad companies having any title or interest in any rail properties authorized to be acquired, leased or used by this article.
(8) "Person" means individuals, corporations, partnerships or foreign and domestic associations, including railroads.
(9) "Predominantly commuter services" means that for any given trip segment (i.e., distance between two stations), more than fifty percent of the average daily ridership travels on the train at least three times a week.
(10) "Rail properties" means assets or rights owned, leased or otherwise controlled by a railroad or other person which are used, or useful, in rail transportation service: Provided, That rail properties does not include any properties owned, leased, or otherwise controlled by a railroad not in reorganization, unless it consents to such properties' inclusion in the particular transaction.
(11) "Rail service" means both freight and passenger service.
(12) "Railroad" means a common carrier by railroad as defined in section 1(3) of Part I of the Interstate Commerce Act (49 U. S. C. (1) 3).
(13) "Railroad project" means the initiation, acquisition,
construction, maintenance, repair, equipping or operation of rail
properties or rail service, or the provisions of loans or grants to
or with government agencies, or to persons for such purposes, by
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.