(a) "Board" means the state board of risk and insurance management.
(b) "Health care provider" means:
(1) A person licensed by the West Virginia board of medicine to practice medicine in this state;
(2) A person licensed by the West Virginia board of osteopathy to practice medicine in this state;
(3) A podiatrist licensed by the West Virginia board of medicine;
(4) An optometrist licensed by the West Virginia board of optometry;
(5) A pharmacist licensed by the West Virginia board of pharmacy;
(6) A registered nurse holding an advanced practice announcement from the West Virginia board of examiners for registered professional nurses;
(7) A physician's assistant licensed by either the West Virginia board of medicine or the West Virginia board of osteopathy;
(8) A dentist licensed by the West Virginia board of dental examiners;
(9) A physical therapist licensed by the West Virginia board of physical therapy;
(10) A chiropractor licensed by the West Virginia board of chiropractic;
(11) A professional limited liability company or medical corporation certified by the state board of medicine;
(12) An association, partnership or other entity organized for the purpose of rendering professional services by persons who are health care providers;
(13) A hospital, medical clinic, psychiatric hospital or other medical facility authorized by law to provide professional medical services; and
(14) Such other health care provider as the board may from time to time approve, and for whom an adequate rate can be established.
"Health care provider" does not include any provider of professional medical services that has medical malpractice insurance pursuant to article twelve of this chapter.
(b) "Sexual acts" means that sexual conduct which constitutes a criminal or tortious act under the laws of West Virginia.
(c) "Prior acts" coverage means coverage for claims arising out of the providing of medical services, including medical treatment, which are first reported to the board during the effective policy period, but which occurred on or after the retroactive date reported in the policy declarations.
(d) "High risk" means the probability of loss is greater than average based on criteria specified in this article and established by the board.
(e)"Retroactive date" means the date designated in the policy declarations, before which coverage is not applicable.
(f) "Tail coverage" or "extended reporting coverage" is coverage that protects the health care provider against all claims arising from professional services performed while the claims-made policy was in effect and included in the policy but reported after the termination of the policy.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2012 1st Special Session