(a) As used in this section or in section eleven, article two of this chapter:
(1) "Intrastate pipeline" means (i) any utility or (ii) any other person, firm or corporation engaged in natural gas transportation in intrastate commerce to or for another person, firm or corporation for compensation.
(2) "Interstate pipeline" means any person, firm or corporation engaged in natural gas transportation subject to the jurisdiction of the FERC under the Natural Gas Act or the Natural Gas Policy Act of 1978.
(3) "Local distribution company" means any person, other than any interstate pipeline or any intrastate pipeline, engaged in transportation or local distribution of natural gas and the sale of natural gas for ultimate consumption.
(4) "Intrastate commerce" includes the production, gathering, treatment, processing, transportation and delivery of natural gas entirely within this state.
(5) "Transportation" includes exchange, backhaul, displacement or other means of transportation.
(6) "FERC" means the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.
(b) The commission may by rule or order, authorize and require the transportation of natural gas in intrastate commerce by intrastate pipelines, by interstate pipelines with unused or excess capacity not needed to meet interstate commerce demands or by local distribution companies for any person for one or more uses, as defined, by rule, by the commission in the case of:
(1) Natural gas sold by a producer, pipeline or other seller to such person; or
(2) Natural gas produced by such person.
(c) For reasons of safety, deliverability or operational efficiency the commission may, in its discretion, by rule or order, exclude from the requirements of this section any part of any pipeline solely dedicated to storage, or gathering, or low pressure distribution of natural gas.
(d) (1) The rates and charges of any interstate pipeline with respect to any transportation authorized and required under subsection (b) of this section shall be just and reasonable and computed by the public service commission in accordance with the guidelines set forth by the FERC and in effect upon the date of application by the commission for the transportation of natural gas by any interstate pipeline on behalf of any intrastate pipeline or any local distribution company.
(2) The rates and charges of any intrastate pipeline with respect to any transportation authorized and required under subsection (b) of this section shall be fair and reasonable and may not exceed an amount which is reasonably comparable to the rates and charges which interstate pipelines would be permitted to charge for providing similar transportation service. The computation of such rates and charges by the public service commission shall be in accordance with the guidelines set forth by the FERC and in effect upon the date of application by the commission for the transportation of natural gas by any intrastate pipeline in behalf of any interstate pipeline or any local distribution company served by any interstate pipeline.
(e) The provisions of this article and each section, subsection, subdivision, paragraph and subparagraph thereof shall be severable from the provisions of each other subparagraph, paragraph, subdivision, subsection, section, article or chapter of this code so that if any provision of this article be held void, the remaining provisions of this act and this code shall remain valid.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.