(1) In addition, the rule shall provide for, but not be limited to:
(A) Rate adjustments by industry or individual employer, including merit rate adjustments;
(B) Notification regarding rate adjustments prior to the quarter in which the rate adjustments will be in effect;
(C) Chargeability of claims; and
(D) Any further matters that are necessary and consistent with the goals of this chapter;
(2) The rule shall require the establishment of a program under which the commissioner may grant discounts on premium rates for employers who meet either of the following requirements:
(A) Have not incurred a compensable injury for one year or more and who maintain an employee safety committee or similar organization and make periodic safety inspections of the workplace;
(B) Successfully complete a loss prevention program, including establishment of a drug-free workplace, prescribed by the commission's safety and loss control office and conducted by the commission or by any other person approved by the commission;
(3) The rule shall be consistent with the duty of the Executive Director and the board of managers to fix and maintain the lowest possible rates of premium taxes consistent with the maintenance of a solvent Workers' Compensation Fund and the reduction of any deficit that may exist in the fund and in keeping with their fiduciary obligations to the fund;
(4) The rule shall be consistent with generally accepted accounting principles;
(5) The rule shall be consistent with classification and rate-making methodologies found in the insurance industry; and
(6) The rule shall be consistent with the principles of promoting more effective workplace health and safety programs as contained in article two-b of this chapter.
(b) In accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, the Workers' Compensation Commission shall keep an accurate accounting of all money or moneys earned, due and received by the Workers' Compensation Fund and of the liability incurred and disbursements made against the fund; and an accurate account of all money or moneys earned, due and received from each individual subscriber and of the liability incurred and disbursements made against the same.
(c) Prospective rates set in accordance with the provisions of this article shall at all times be financially sound in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and fully fund the prospective claim obligations for the year in which the rates were made. Rates, surcharges or assessments for deficit management and deficit reduction purposes shall be fair and equitable, financially sound in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and sufficient to meet the payment obligations of the fund.
(d) Notwithstanding any provision of subsection (c) of this section to the contrary, except for those increases made effective for fiscal year two thousand four by action of the compensation programs performance council heretofore established in article three, chapter twenty-one-a of this code taken prior to the effective date of the amendment and reenactment of this section, base rates, assessments and surcharges, except for individual employer merit rate adjustments, shall not be increased during fiscal years two thousand four and two thousand five: Provided, That the portion of the rate increase attributable to claims management incentive adjustments, as determined by the compensation programs performance council for fiscal year two thousand four prior to the effective date of the amendment and reenactment of this section by the Legislature in the year two thousand three, shall not be considered a part of the employer's premium taxes and shall not be subject to collection by the commission.
(e) Claims management incentive adjustments, whether imposed in a manner that would result in either a debit or a credit to any employer's account, shall not be considered by the board of managers in its future rate determinations.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2014 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.