§22A-2-53a. Railroad cars; dumping areas; other surface areas.
(1) Employees handling railroad cars shall have access to and use an approved distinct audible signaling device to give warning when cars are in motion. Safety belts shall be worn and properly attached by all car droppers handling railroad cars. Railroad cars shall be maintained under control at all times. Cars shall be dropped at a safe rate of speed and in such a manner that will ensure the car dropper maintains a safe position while working and traveling around the car. Railroad cars shall not be coupled or uncoupled manually from the inside of curves unless the railroad and cars are so designed to eliminate any hazard from coupling or uncoupling from inside of curves.
(2) All dumping ramps shall be of a sufficient width to ensure safe operation of vehicles used thereon.
(3) All access roads leading to and from bath houses, portals, and other areas on which persons are expected to travel to and from work, shall be of sufficient width and be maintained in good condition. On haulage roads, guardrails or berms shall be provided on the outerbank of all elevated roads.
(4) Mobile surface loading and haulage equipment shall be inspected by a competent person before such equipment is placed into operation. Equipment defects affecting safety shall be corrected before the equipment is used.
(5) Safety protection, such as safety belts, lifelines, or lanyards to prevent a person from falling shall be provided at all times that miners are working in an area where the potential fall distance exceeds fifteen feet, except that safety belts shall not be used where they are impractical or would pose a greater hazard. Safety nets shall be provided when work places are more than twenty-five feet above the ground where the use of ladders, scaffolds, catch platforms, temporary floors, safety lines, or safety belts are impractical.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2014 1st Special Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.