(b) This article shall not apply to or affect:
(1) Shallow wells other than those utilized in secondary recovery programs as set forth in section eight of this article;
(2) Any well commenced or completed prior to the ninth day of March, one thousand nine hundred seventy-two, unless such well is, after completion (whether such completion is prior or subsequent to that date):
(A) Deepened subsequent to that date to a formation at or below the top of the uppermost member of the "Onondaga Group"; or
(B) Involved in secondary recovery operations for oil under an order of the commission entered pursuant to section eight of this article;
(3) Gas storage operations or any well employed to inject gas into or withdraw gas from a gas storage reservoir or any well employed for storage observation; or
(4) Free gas rights.
(c) The provisions of this article shall not be construed to grant to the commissioner or the commission authority or power to:
(1) Limit production or output, or prorate production of any oil or gas well, except as provided in subdivision (6), subsection (a), section seven of this article; or
(2) Fix prices of oil or gas.
(d) Nothing contained in either this chapter or chapter twenty-two of this code may be construed so as to require, prior to commencement of plugging operations, a lessee under a lease covering a well to give or sell the well to any person owning an interest in the well, including, but not limited to, a respective lessor, or agent of the lessor, nor shall the lessee be required to grant to a person owning an interest in the well, including, but not limited to, a respective lessor, or agent of a lessor, an opportunity to qualify under section twenty-six, article six, chapter twenty-two of this code to continue operation of the well.