For the purposes of this article:
(a) "Active duty" means full-time duty in the armed forces, other than duty for training in the reserves or national guard. Any period of duty for training in the reserves or national guard, including authorized travel, during which an individual was disabled from a disease or injury incurred or aggravated in line of duty, is considered "active duty."
(b) "Economically disadvantaged" means a person who:
(1) Receives, or is a member of a family which receives, cash welfare payments under a federal, state or local welfare program;
(2) Has, or is a member of a family which has, received a total family income for the six months prior to application which, in relation to family size, was not in excess of the higher of:
(i) The poverty level determined in accordance with criteria established by the federal office of management and budget; or
(ii) Seventy percent of the lower living standard income level;
(3) Is receiving food stamps pursuant to the food stamp act of one thousand nine hundred seventy-seven;
(4) Is a foster child on behalf of whom state or local government payments are made; or
(5) Is an adult handicapped individual whose own income meets the requirements of subdivisions (1) and (2) of this subsection, but who is a member of a family whose income does not meet such requirements.
(c) "Korean conflict veteran" means a person who served in the armed services of the United States at least one day during the period of time beginning the twenty-seventh day of June, one thousand nine hundred fifty, and extending through the thirty-first day of January, one thousand nine hundred fifty-five.
(d) "National guard member" means a member of any component of the West Virginia national guard.
(e) "Reserve member" means a member of any component of the reserve forces of the United States.
(f) "Veteran" means a member of the United States armed forces who:
(1) Served on active duty for a period of more than one hundred eighty days and was discharged or released therefrom with other than a dishonorable discharge; or
(2) Was discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability.
(g) "Vietnam era veteran" means a person who served in the armed services of the United States at least one day during the period of time beginning the fifth day of August, one thousand nine hundred sixty-four, and extending through the seventh day of May, one thousand nine hundred seventy-five.
Note: WV Code updated with legislation passed through the 2015 Regular Session
The WV Code Online is an unofficial copy of the annotated WV Code, provided as a convenience. It has NOT been edited for publication, and is not in any way official or authoritative.